What this allows is that external applications and external web sites can now retrieve and update points on your site for users. With this many things are possible, such as:
- Your Drupal site acting as an award points repository.
- Your Drupal site acting as a contest repository.
- Your Drupal site acting as a user reputation repository.
- Joomla, Wordpress, and other web sites can query and update points on your site.
- User actions captured in the offline world (e.g. contests, purchases from retailers, airlines, and any other computer application updating points on your Drupal site.
We are sure that much more can be done with this, with a little imagination.
What is the future for this? Lookup of users via an alternate identifier, such as an email address, or OpenID, so the Drupal uid does not need to be stored on the external site/application.